Course Unit: Excavation, Backfill and Reinstatement in the Highway.
Course Duration: 5 days.
Courses are scheduled throughout the year. If you are interested in this course then please contact us and we will be delighted to discuss your requirements.
A course to provide participants with the skills and knowledge necessary to carry out or monitor the excavation, backfill and reinstatement of the highway. In accordance with the Specification for the Reinstatement of Openings in Highways (3rd edition April 2010) and the Code of Practice for Safety at Street works and Road works 2013 with amendments June 2014.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
- Interpret utility plans for underground apparatus
- Demonstrate competence in the use of pipe & cable location equipment
- Identify Underground Apparatus
- Select and deploy suitable signing and guarding equipment
- Select, check and position portable traffic signals
- Identify the construction layers in footways and carriageways
- Employ safe excavation techniques and support utility apparatus
- Select, check and store excavated and imported materials for re-use
- Lay and compact bituminous and non-bituminous reinstatement materials
- Select and use suitable compaction equipment
- Classify excavated and imported materials
- Safely dispose of surplus materials
The course will consist of a mixture of classroom based tuition and practical exercises. This course covers Unit 1 – 6 plus 9 of the Street Works Qualifications for Operatives.
Pre Course Requirements
Attendees should bring with them passport photograph, Hi-visibilty clothing, safety footwear, suitable eye protection, suitable hearing protection, gloves and head protection. Successful candidates will gain units 1 – 6 plus 9, Operatives qualification
Who Should Attend?
Operatives who carry out excavation, backfill and reinstatement using cold lay bituminous materials, modular and concrete paving.
Maximum 8 learners.